Monday, January 14, 2008

Everythings going to be alright...finally...

I just want you close
Where you can stay forever
You can be sure that it will only get better
You and me together
Through the days and nights
I don’t worry cause everything’s gonna be alright
People keep talking
They can say what they like
But all I know is everything’s gonna be alright

I heard this Alicia Keys song on my way home tonight. I was at the hospital, along with just about everyone else in my family. After a year of more time spent in the hospital than not, we were all finally there for a good reason. Tomorrow my BIL is getting his kidney!

I found this song to be especially comforting. Finally, everything is going to be alright. I imagine that my sister and her husband would find comfort in these words as well. Tomorrow is such a pivotal day in their lives, I can't even begin to imagine what is going on in their heads. And in the heads of the donor and his wife as well.

This will be my BIL's second transplant. The first was almost 10 years ago and it was from a cadaver. It lived its lifespan of 10 years. When it failed, my BIL was told that his best option for health was to find a live donor. And they did. A true miracle. His donor is actually his best friend, someone that my sister and BIL have known since college. It is really unbelievable that someone would be selfless enough to give such a gift. But that is who this person is. It is even more unbelievable that the donor and his wife had there first child just a few months ago. We will never be able to repay them for their generosity.

So tonight we all rallied around the patients as the transplant surgery will begin tomorrow at 7am. It amazed me how cheerful everyone was, especially the patients. I guess Fleet Enemas are funny, regardless of the situation....

Neal, Michele, Ryan, Leslie...here's to you! Your devotion to one another and your strength is truly an inspiration to us all. I hope that those who hear of your story will learn from your generosity and strive to make the world a better place.

2 comments:

glamah16 said...

Good Luck with everything. He sure is blessed to have a loving family and a friend/donor. BTW Alicia Keyes is my current favorite.

Big Momma said...

Glamah,

Thanks! It is really a beautiful song. I wish I could sing:)

CBM