Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Jingle Balls

Well, it is that time of year. Sun hasn't shined for days, everything looks gray and dingy and it is officially cold. At least there is snow coming! If it is going to be cold, there should be snow.

This time of year also bring Christmas shopping. Here is my question to all of you: Is it customary to buy your boss a Christmas gift?

For the last 6 years I had the same boss. For the first 2 years I bought him a Christmas present. I stopped because it was never reciprocated. Ok, I know that the holiday is for giving, but not getting a gift back made be feel like a douche. Plus, the second year I bought him golf balls as he was a fanatic golfer. After he received my gift, he left me a voice message to say thanks. I voice mailed him back and actually said "I am so happy to hear that you like your balls!" Eeew. So now that I have a new boss, I'm back to square one. And, I'd like to keep human resources out of it this time around.

So, do you all purchase gifts for your boss? If so, what types of gifts are you giving? Randy, no ball jokes please, unless of course they are just that funny.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, give a gift. You respect all that this person is teaching you, you have a fantastic work relationship and you want to show your appreciation. But don't spend too much because that could be awkward.

But you giving is a reflection of you - you're a kind and giving person. It's just who you are. I'm sure this boss will feel the same about you and give you a gift but if they don't, you'll feel good that you did.

In the end though, you have a gift every day with this boss of yours. That's worth more than anything money could buy.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to what cheese hater said!!!